Residents are encouraged to participate in the National Night Out (NNO) crime prevention event by joining with their neighbors to increase safety awareness, become better acquainted, strengthen neighborhood spirit, and get information on how to protect themselves and their property. It's easy to take part in National Night Out by hosting a block party on your street. Your party can be simple, with a few activities and light snacks or you can create a larger event tailored to your neighbors.
These are the steps:
(1) Determine how many houses to include;
(2) Decide whose yard to use if you are sharing duties with a neighbor;
(3) Go to www.nnoaustin.org for the great ideas, suggestions, forms, and details on NNO block parties;
(4) Register your party at www.austintexas.gov/nno before Sept 12 or call APD (512) 974-4736 to receive the form for mailing;
(5) Contact AMLD at (512) 258-4104 to sign up for free giveaways, drinks, water, and snacks to supplement your event's food;
(6) Send out invitations for your October 4th event. Then on the first Tuesday in October, turn on your porch light, lock your doors, and join your neighbors outside to give crime a going away party!
The special citywide National Night Out kick-off event is on October 1, from 10am to 1pm, at Mueller Neighborhood Lake Development and it is an outstanding display of the public safety vehicles, equipment, mounted patrol, K9, and the services available to people in Austin - plus an opportunity to meet the officers. There will be food, drinks, games, music, and exhibits.